CPD For SCHOOLS
Upcoming Arts-Based CPD Opportunities
Chol (Theatre and Arts) opportunities (subsidised via the Paul Hamlyn Foundation)
Option 1: opportunities for schools to partner with Chol going forward in the Autumn of 2023, as part of their ‘Creative and Caring Partner School’ programme:
- Feedback from Kings Oak Primary Learning Centre (who participated in the programme): ‘Lauren was able to bring out confidence in all our children enabling them to have full ownership over their learning. They couldn’t wait for their drama session each week! She has also really engaged our staff who have fully embraced the opportunities to help develop our children’s spoken English in preparation for writing.’
Option 2: Chol also have 3 places left for this summer term for whole school introductions for Imaginary Communities (IC)
- Chol will come into school and work with all classes to give a flavour of IC and run a training session for teachers after school.
If schools are interested, please contact Carly Clarke: [email protected]
Free Creative Fundraising Session
Fusion (Barnsley’s Cultural Education Partnership) is delighted to be offering a free online Creative Fundraising Session for primary and secondary schools, delivered by Lisa Jagger from Straight Forward Funding Ltd.
Tuesday 17 October 2023, 4pm – 5:30pm, Online. 20 Places are available.
- Advice on applying for additional funding to support embedding the arts into your curriculum.
- Where to find out about funding opportunities
- What information to prioritise and include in funding bids.
- A list of funders to consider.
- Participants will be provided with a digital resource park to take away from the session.
The session would be useful for anyone who will support in identifying and applying for arts funding. This could be teachers, senior leadership, Arts Leads, PTA, office staff or governors.
The session was piloted in February with schools participating in Fusion’s Creative Schools Programme (Artsmark) and was well received:
‘The session was really helpful. Thank you so much and please pass along our thanks to Lisa for her support’ (Birkwood Primary School).
To book a place, please email: [email protected].
Leading the Arts in Your School
Curious Minds has opened applications for Leading the Arts in Your School.
The popular arts leadership development programme is aimed at teachers based in the North of England who want to shape their school’s journey in arts and culture.
Sessions run from January to June 2024. The deadline for receipt of applications is Sunday, 22 October 2023.
- The course will provide time, space, and expertise for teachers to develop their skills and confidence in becoming an arts leader.
- There will be a focus on building strong partnerships between schools, local artists and cultural organisations.
Inspiring Happy Writers
On Friday, 10 November 2023, Chol and Grimm & Co are hosting a professional development day for educators at Grimm & Co’s new Emporium of Stories.
If you are a primary teacher, researcher or artist interested in developing or learning new creative approaches to teaching literacy, this event is for you.
The cost of the conference is £35 and the event will run from 9:30am – 3:30pm. Price includes refreshments, snacks and lunch along with a take away goodie bag.
What to expect on the day?
- A practical workshop by Chol, introducing their ‘Imaginary Communities’ approach to teaching writing.
- A practical workshop by Grimm & Co, exploring their ‘Creative Courage’ techniques for teachers and pupils.
- An opportunity to connect with other creative organisations, funders and artists.
- A panel discussion focused on Care, Courage and Creativity.
- An insight into Rotherham’s plans to host the world’s first Children’s Capital of Culture.
Let's Play In History
Join us at Experience Barnsley (at Barnsley Town Hall), for a creative and interactive CPD session.
Learn how to bring objects to life through storytelling with Chol Theatre, as part of their ‘Imaginary Communities’ project.
Thursday, 16 November 2023, 4pm – 5:30pm. Suitable for KS1 and KS2.
- Bringing history and stories to life in a creative way.
- Creative toolkit for you to take back to school and into your classroom.
- See collections in a new light, and how you and your children can interact with them.
- Find new and exciting ways for you to draw connections to the curriculum.
African Drum Workshop With Alastair Scobbie
Free for music educators across South Yorkshire.
Alastair, from Pretoria, South Africa, is visiting South Yorkshire as part of an exciting project and exchange with the wonderful Barnsley Youth Choir.
He is an assistant conductor for the famous University of Pretoria (Tuks) Camerata, but also an incredible African Drum/Percussion specialist.
We are delighted to be able to offer this special workshop opportunity.
Monday, 11 December 2023, 4pm – 6pm at Barnsley @ The Lightbox, Events Space (Level 3). Barnsley S70 1GW.
Suitable for both Instrumental Music Tutors and Classroom Teachers wanting to develop new skills. All equipment is provided for the two hour free session.
To find out more information, please contact the Barnsley Music Education Hub, via email, [email protected] or call 01226 291525.